Srikrishna Committee is a farce: Venkaiah Naidu
Hyderabad: Describing as "farce" the Justice Srikrishna Committee set up by the Centre to resolve the Telangana issue, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu on Saturday said
it would not serve any purpose and was a waste of public money.
"The Committee has no any statutory sanctity. It is a farce and is a sheer waste of time and resources, and a futile exercise," Naidu told reporters here.
Naidu said the Committee would meet the same fate as that of the earlier committees formed by the Centre and questioned Congress, which returned to power in the state in 2004, on its Telangana promise.
"What happened to the earlier committee -- headed by Pranab Mukherjee -- constituted to look into the demand for Telangana state," Naidu asked.
"Committees can`t decide the future of the state and there should be a political solution to this burning issue," he said.
When asked whether BJP would extend support to the Committee, scheduled to visit next month to hold consultations with various parties and organisations on the issue, the senior leader shot back saying "what purpose would it serve."
Naidu said his party`s stand is very clear and it is in favour of separate statehood for Telangana region and wanted to know whether the Centre will actually implement the
recommendations of the Committee.
The UPA government has constituted a five-member Committee led by Justice B N Srikrishna to examine the demand for a separate Telangana state and as well as the demand to keep Andhra Pradesh united.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Republican presidential race: Donald Trump hits out at Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz ahead of Indiana primary
- Imran Khan demands ‘jail’ for Nawaz; reiterates Pak PM’s resignation over Panama Papers – Video inside
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels