Srikrishna Committee is a farce: Venkaiah Naidu
Hyderabad: Describing as "farce" the Justice Srikrishna Committee set up by the Centre to resolve the Telangana issue, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu on Saturday said
it would not serve any purpose and was a waste of public money.
"The Committee has no any statutory sanctity. It is a farce and is a sheer waste of time and resources, and a futile exercise," Naidu told reporters here.
Naidu said the Committee would meet the same fate as that of the earlier committees formed by the Centre and questioned Congress, which returned to power in the state in 2004, on its Telangana promise.
"What happened to the earlier committee -- headed by Pranab Mukherjee -- constituted to look into the demand for Telangana state," Naidu asked.
"Committees can`t decide the future of the state and there should be a political solution to this burning issue," he said.
When asked whether BJP would extend support to the Committee, scheduled to visit next month to hold consultations with various parties and organisations on the issue, the senior leader shot back saying "what purpose would it serve."
Naidu said his party`s stand is very clear and it is in favour of separate statehood for Telangana region and wanted to know whether the Centre will actually implement the
recommendations of the Committee.
The UPA government has constituted a five-member Committee led by Justice B N Srikrishna to examine the demand for a separate Telangana state and as well as the demand to keep Andhra Pradesh united.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL