Srinagar terror attack: J&K Police detain suspect
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Police has detained Parandeep Singh, a daily wager with the Public Health Department who allegedly provided shelter to two `fidayeens` who carried out the suicide attack here on Wednesday, killing five CRPF men.
Police were looking for Parandeep Singh after his name figured in the interrogation of Bashir Ahmed alias Haroon Bhai-- a resident of Uri in North Kashmir who worked for Lashkar-e-Taiba.
Singh, who was on run after the fidayeen attack on Wednesday, was detained early this morning, official sources said.
Besides Bashir, 22-year-old Zubair alias Abu Tallah alias Riaz, was held from Chattabal area in the outskirts of the city in connection with the attack. The arrest was made while he was talking to his handlers through the SIM card provided by Bashir, a local, the sources said.
Zubair told the interrogators that he had dropped the two `fidayeens` (suicide attackers) along with Bashir, who earlier carried out a recce of the force`s camp at a school playground.It was Bashir`s interrogation that led to the arrest of Zubair.
According to the investigators, a group of five Lashker terrorists had crossed over in Uri earlier this month out of which two had returned while others proceeded towards Srinagar.
Bashir, who stays in Srinagar, arranged the travel of the three to Tangmarg area of north Kashmir where all of them met on March 11 at Singh`s house.
He later shifted them to Tankipora area in the city from where they were escorted to the CRPF camp in Bemina area on March 13 to carry out the suicide attack.
Bashir shifted the third militant to Chhatabal area where he was put up in an already created hideout.
The two terrorists, disguised as cricketers, had stormed a CRPF camp here in the first major attack in the city in three years. They were killed by the security personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured