Sriprakash Jaiswal in legal trouble over sexist remarks
Kanpur: A social activist on Wednesday moved a local court against Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal, seeking registration of a criminal case for his sexist remarks that created a storm and was attacked by women`s organisation.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate VK Pandey has directed recording of the statement of petitioner Anita Dua on October 08.
In her application, Dua said despite holding a key portfolio in the Union Government Jaiswal has made a "derogatory and wrong statement which cannot be tolerated”.
"We have appealed to the court to file a case under section 294 (Obscene acts and songs) and 500 (Punishment for defamation) of the IPC against Jaiswal", Dua`s lawyer Anand Jaiswal said.
The court has accepted the application and called Dua on October 08 with supporting evidence after which further action will be taken, he said.
Addressing a Kavi sammelan in Kanpur on Sunday night, when the news of India`s victory over Pakistan in an ICC World Twenty-20 match in Sri Lanka came in, Jaiswal had said "Like an old victory, wives lose charm as time goes by."
Jaiswal, however, later claimed his comments were misconstrued and were being taken out of context and that he apologised if they have hurt the sentiments of women.
Outrage against the statements continued today with protesters including women burning effigies of Jaiswal and blackening posters with his face on it in his home town in Kanpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof