SSB men flagged off for 1st Mt everest expedition
New Delhi: A 10-member contingent of border guarding force SSB was Tuesday flagged off to conquer the world`s tallest peak Mount Everest.
The contingent, first of the force to the 8,848-metre tall summit, is expected to reach the top in the middle of May.
Union Home Secretary R K Singh flagged off the contingent and presented the climbing axe, sporting the Indian and the force flag, to the squad commander and SSB Commandant Somit Joshi at an event at the forces` headquarter here.
He wished the squad success.
The Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), established in 1963 in the wake of Chinese aggression, is celebrating its golden jubilee of raising this year.
The squad, equipped with modern mountaineering gadgets, will scale the peak from the Nepalese side and has undergone extensive mountaineering training at domestic peaks in the country.
SSB chief Arun Chaudhary said the force would undertake a number of events throughout the year to celebrate 50 years of its existence.
The Director General said the first Mt Everest expedition of the force will surely bring a spirit of adventure amongst the personnel of the paramilitary.
The SSB guards the 1,751 km Indo-Nepal border and the 699 km frontier with Bhutan and is also the lead intelligence gathering agency on these two frontiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm