ST Commission submits report to President
New Delhi: National Commission for Scheduled Tribes on Friday presented the Sixth Report on implementation of safeguards for the community for 2010-11 to President Pranab Mukherjee.
NCST chairperson Rameshwar Oraon and member BL Meena presented the report to the President, Ministry of Tribal Affairs said in a statement.
The Commission has been tasked with overseeing the implementation of various safeguards provided to Scheduled Tribes under the Constitution.
According to Constitutional provisions, the NCST report has to be laid in both houses of Parliament along with a memorandum explaining the action taken or proposed to be taken on the recommendations relating to the Centre.
Similar action has to be taken by state governments while laying the report in the Legislative Assembly of the state concerned in relation to the recommendations concerning the state.
The Commission was constituted in 2004 consequent to the amendment of Article 338 of the Constitution and insertion of a new article, Article 338A, which enjoins upon the Commission to oversee the implementation of various safeguards provided to Scheduled Tribes under the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015