Stalemate for 7th day over detainment of Indian ship by Iran
New Delhi: Deadlock over detainment of an Indian oil tanker by Iran on Sunday entered its seventh day as both countries failed to resolve the issue despite hectic parleys.
"There is no development so far. The ship is still there in the custody of the Iranian authorities at Bandar Abbas port," a top Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) official said.
MT Desh Shanti, the tanker belonging to the country`s largest ocean liner SCI, was detained by Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) on August 12 in Persian Gulf and taken to Bandar Abbas port while carrying crude from Basrah in Iraq.
The official said there was not any kind of pollution from the comparatively new vessel with a capacity to carry 140,000 tonnes of crude.
Meanwhile, India through its mission in Tehran, is engaged in hectic negotiations for release of the tanker.
"Indian Embassy in Tehran is pro-actively engaged in talks with Iran officials for the release of the ship. There has been no pollution by the ship and we expect some positive development," another SCI official said.
The development comes at a time when India, the world`s fourth-largest oil importer, has significantly reduced its import of crude oil from Iran following severe financial sanctions from the western countries against the Islamic republic.
The Iranian embassy here in a statement on Friday had said that the detention was "purely a technical and non-political issue".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof