Stalemate in Solicitor General resignation issue
New Delhi: Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily Monday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to discuss the resignation of Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam, sources said.
Though there was no official word on what transpired in the meeting, it is learnt that Manmohan Singh suggested that Subramaniam may be asked not to press his resignation, the sources added.
Subramaniam, the country`s number two law officer, has not so far indicated whether he was inclined to retract his step or not.
Meanwhile, Subramaniam Monday stayed away from the apex court. He had conveyed to the Attorney General`s office his decision not to attend the court, sources said.
Because of this, the hearing on the matter of infrastructure in subordinate courts, which was listed before the special bench of Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia, Justice Aftab Alam and Justice K.S. Radhakrishanan, could not be held.
In the 2G spectrum cases - the bone of contention for Subramaniam, senior counsel Rohington Nariman appeared for Communications Minister Kapil Sibal and argued the case on his behalf.
Subramaniam offered to quit Saturday after feeling upset over Kapil Sibal substituting him by senior counsel Rohington Nariman in the 2G scam case.
He sent the quit letter to Manmohan Singh`s office as Moily was away in Bangalore.
Subramaniam told reporters Sunday that he had quit to protect the "dignity of the office". "I feel it was unfair," Subramaniam said about the appointment of Nariman by Sibal.
In his letter to Manmohan Singh, the sources said, Subramaniam has complained that Sibal didn`t think it necessary to take him into the confidence before appointing Nariman.
He has also mentioned that he was personally asked by the prime minister to appear before the Supreme Court in the 2G matters but the minister chose to substitute him.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan