Stalemate in Solicitor General resignation issue
New Delhi: Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily Monday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to discuss the resignation of Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam, sources said.
Though there was no official word on what transpired in the meeting, it is learnt that Manmohan Singh suggested that Subramaniam may be asked not to press his resignation, the sources added.
Subramaniam, the country`s number two law officer, has not so far indicated whether he was inclined to retract his step or not.
Meanwhile, Subramaniam Monday stayed away from the apex court. He had conveyed to the Attorney General`s office his decision not to attend the court, sources said.
Because of this, the hearing on the matter of infrastructure in subordinate courts, which was listed before the special bench of Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia, Justice Aftab Alam and Justice K.S. Radhakrishanan, could not be held.
In the 2G spectrum cases - the bone of contention for Subramaniam, senior counsel Rohington Nariman appeared for Communications Minister Kapil Sibal and argued the case on his behalf.
Subramaniam offered to quit Saturday after feeling upset over Kapil Sibal substituting him by senior counsel Rohington Nariman in the 2G scam case.
He sent the quit letter to Manmohan Singh`s office as Moily was away in Bangalore.
Subramaniam told reporters Sunday that he had quit to protect the "dignity of the office". "I feel it was unfair," Subramaniam said about the appointment of Nariman by Sibal.
In his letter to Manmohan Singh, the sources said, Subramaniam has complained that Sibal didn`t think it necessary to take him into the confidence before appointing Nariman.
He has also mentioned that he was personally asked by the prime minister to appear before the Supreme Court in the 2G matters but the minister chose to substitute him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof