Stalemate in Solicitor General resignation issue
New Delhi: Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily Monday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to discuss the resignation of Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam, sources said.
Though there was no official word on what transpired in the meeting, it is learnt that Manmohan Singh suggested that Subramaniam may be asked not to press his resignation, the sources added.
Subramaniam, the country`s number two law officer, has not so far indicated whether he was inclined to retract his step or not.
Meanwhile, Subramaniam Monday stayed away from the apex court. He had conveyed to the Attorney General`s office his decision not to attend the court, sources said.
Because of this, the hearing on the matter of infrastructure in subordinate courts, which was listed before the special bench of Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia, Justice Aftab Alam and Justice K.S. Radhakrishanan, could not be held.
In the 2G spectrum cases - the bone of contention for Subramaniam, senior counsel Rohington Nariman appeared for Communications Minister Kapil Sibal and argued the case on his behalf.
Subramaniam offered to quit Saturday after feeling upset over Kapil Sibal substituting him by senior counsel Rohington Nariman in the 2G scam case.
He sent the quit letter to Manmohan Singh`s office as Moily was away in Bangalore.
Subramaniam told reporters Sunday that he had quit to protect the "dignity of the office". "I feel it was unfair," Subramaniam said about the appointment of Nariman by Sibal.
In his letter to Manmohan Singh, the sources said, Subramaniam has complained that Sibal didn`t think it necessary to take him into the confidence before appointing Nariman.
He has also mentioned that he was personally asked by the prime minister to appear before the Supreme Court in the 2G matters but the minister chose to substitute him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack