Stalking, snooping on women to be dealt strictly: RPN Singh
New Delhi: Crimes against women related to snooping, stalking or outraging the modesty will get strict punishment under the law and there should be no politics on these issues, Union minister RPN Singh on Friday said.
"Any person who indulges in indecency with any women...Or snooping, stalking or outraging the modesty will get punishment under the strong law that the government has made. There should be no politics on these issues.... Action should be taken against the person by rising above politics," the Minister of State for Home said on the sidelines of an event of paramilitary Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) here.
His remarks come amid furore over allegations that Gujarat police had done illegal surveillance on a woman architect and the raging controversy over accusation against Tehelka editor Tarun Tejpal of sexually assaulting a woman colleague.
Singh also said the Home Ministry would seek a report from Assam government about the incident where a woman died allegedly after being thrown out of a tempo taxi. The post mortem report of the women yesterday said that she was not raped.
A commemorative postal stamp, on the occasion of the 50 years of raising of the SSB, was released by the Minister during the event.
The SSB, raised in 1963 in the wake of Chinese aggression, at present guards `open` Indian frontiers with Nepal (1,751-kms) and Bhutan (699-kms) and is also the lead agency for intelligence gathering on these borders.
Singh said it was "challenging task" for the border guarding force to secure these frontiers as they are `open` and do not require people to travel across on visa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- Delhi LG cancelled AAP govt order on compensation by discoms: Arvind Kejriwal
- Bihar flood toll reaches 156, twins born on boat
- Hinduism all about love, faith and intimacy with all: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
- Who are you? Watch dog's reaction seeing himself on mirror – Very Funny
- Mother Teresa's canonisation portends more conversions: VHP