Stalking, snooping on women to be dealt strictly: RPN Singh
New Delhi: Crimes against women related to snooping, stalking or outraging the modesty will get strict punishment under the law and there should be no politics on these issues, Union minister RPN Singh on Friday said.
"Any person who indulges in indecency with any women...Or snooping, stalking or outraging the modesty will get punishment under the strong law that the government has made. There should be no politics on these issues.... Action should be taken against the person by rising above politics," the Minister of State for Home said on the sidelines of an event of paramilitary Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) here.
His remarks come amid furore over allegations that Gujarat police had done illegal surveillance on a woman architect and the raging controversy over accusation against Tehelka editor Tarun Tejpal of sexually assaulting a woman colleague.
Singh also said the Home Ministry would seek a report from Assam government about the incident where a woman died allegedly after being thrown out of a tempo taxi. The post mortem report of the women yesterday said that she was not raped.
A commemorative postal stamp, on the occasion of the 50 years of raising of the SSB, was released by the Minister during the event.
The SSB, raised in 1963 in the wake of Chinese aggression, at present guards `open` Indian frontiers with Nepal (1,751-kms) and Bhutan (699-kms) and is also the lead agency for intelligence gathering on these borders.
Singh said it was "challenging task" for the border guarding force to secure these frontiers as they are `open` and do not require people to travel across on visa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you