Stall scrapping of INS Vikrant: BJP to Defence Ministry
New Delhi: BJP has sought the Defence Minister`s intervention in stalling the process of scrapping Naval aircraft carrier INS Vikrant which had played a stellar role in India`s war against Pakistan in 1971.
In a letter to Defence Minister AK Antony, BJP leaders Gopinath Munde and Kirit Somaiya have said he should intervene to stall the process to scrap Vikrant, which has been initiated by the Centre and Maharashtra government.
"It is sad that now GOI and GOM decide to scrap the Vikrant project and to scrap Vikrant itself. We want you to intervene and save the pride of the nation," said the letter signed by Munde and other BJP leaders.
Munde, who is Deputy leader of BJP in Lok Sabha, said the Defence Ministry has recently approved the sale of the aircraft carrier as scrap after the failure to put in place decade-long plans to convert the warship into a floating museum in Mumbai.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis