Stamp duty evasion order: Bhushan to move HC
New Delhi: Team Anna member Shanti Bhushan on Friday termed as "illegal" the order of Assistant Stamp
Commission slapping a fine of Rs 27 lakh on him for evading
stamp duty to the tune of Rs 1.35 crore on a property in
Allahabad and said he will challenge it in the high court.
"This order has been clearly made under political
pressure...," Bhushan said in a statement.
"This order.... is totally illegal and contrary to the law
clearly laid down in AIR 1986 Allahabad 107 case. Section 47A
which deals with evasion of Stamp Duty and has been applied by
the stamp collector is not even applicable in this case.
The statement alleged, "...even the stamp collector had
told the counsel of Shanti Bhushan that there is a lot of
political pressure in this case. This illegal order will be
challenged in the HC through a writ petition."
His comments came as Assistant Stamp Commissioner KP
Pandey said that Bhushan has evaded stamp duty to the tune of
Rs 1.35 crore in the purchase of a prime property in Allahabad
and has been been slapped with a fine of over Rs 27 lakh on
the outstanding amount.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Ireland and France urge quick 'Brexit' from European Union
- Mehbooba Mufti meets families affected by Kashmir violence
- Thousands bid emotional farewell as hockey legend Mohammed Shahid laid to rest
- Kudankulam unit 2 physical start-up process begun: Sources
- Derecognise AAP in wake of its activist's suicide: BJP