Stamp duty issue: Bhushans get more time
Allahabad: Lawyer Shanti Bhushan and
his three children were on Saturday granted one more week`s time by
the Stamp and Registration office here to reply to a notice
for alleged stamp duty evasion to the tune of Rs 1.33 crore
on purchase of property in a prime locality in the city.
In the notice, my clients have been asked to file
their reply latest by April 28, Bhushans` lawyer Sangam
Agarwal told reporters here.
"Today, I moved an application seeking more time
following which Stamp Commissioner KP Pandey extended the
last date for filing of reply to May 5"," he said.
The former Union minister, his sons Prashant and
Jayant and daughter Shefali had been issued a notice for
alleged evasion of stamp duty on February 5 and a reminder for
filing a reply was issued on April 15.
The Bhushans have allegedly evaded the stamp duty by
undervaluing their property worth nearly 20 crore. They had
purchased the property spread over 7,818 acres here last year
by entering into an "agreement to sell" with the previous
owners of the land.
The Bhushans used to reside as tenants in the bungalow
situated on the land before moving to New Delhi in 1970s
though they did not forego the possession of the bungalow
which involved them in a litigation with the owners Harimohan
Das Tandon, Sudhir Tandon and Satish Tandon.
Later, the litigation was withdrawn in the wake of the
"agreement to sell" between the two sides whereby the land was
purchased for just Rs 1 lakh and for which stamp duty of
only Rs 2,000 was paid.
Meanwhile, a number of tenants living in the outhouses
situated on the land have launched an agitation to protest
their "possible eviction" following the new land deal.
The outhouse-dwellers said they feared their "possible
eviction" as they were poor and involved in menial jobs and
could not afford litigation.
The protestors also said that they have sent an e-mail
to social activist Anna Hazare "with the request to make
Shanti Bhushan take a sympathetic view of our condition and
refrain from forcing us out".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America