Stampede in Gangasagar; 7 dead, many injured
Kolkata: Seven people were killed and ten other pilgrims injured in a stampede, while they tried to rush to Gangasagar, about 150 km south of here, where lakhs of people have converged to take a holy dip on the auspicious day of Makar Sankranti.
The incident happened around 6 am Thursday at the boat jetty in Kakdwip - from where pilgrims are ferried to the Gangasagar Island. The boats were not ferrying passengers due to the low tide and as soon as they resumed service, everybody tried to get in, so as to be amongst the first to reach Gangasagar and take the holy dip in River Ganga.
"They pushed each other, trying to board the vessel ahead of others. That caused the accident," police said.
"They broke the barricade and tried to go ahead. We had asked them not to board any vessel then, as the water level was low," police added.
Of the seven dead, six are women, while one is a child.
However, there are fears that the number of dead may rise further. Meanwhile, the injured have been shifted to nearby hospital.
Gangasagar in West Bengal’s South 24 Parganas district is where the mighty Ganga empties into the Bay of Bengal. It is considered as one of the holiest of places in Hindu religion. A dip here, especially during auspicious days, is believed to absolve one of his sins.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter