Start bar coding of detonators: MHA tells DIPP
New Delhi: The Home Ministry has asked the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) to initiate bar coding of detonators to check their rampant use in triggering terror strikes.
In a communication to DIPP, the Home Ministry expressed concern over easy availability of detonators, especially among industries related to mining, and asked it to regulate its supply.
"We have asked the DIPP to start bar coding of detonators so that we can find out the origin of all detonators if someone uses them for triggering explosions," a Home Ministry official said.
So far, there is no mechanism to find out from where a detonator was sourced, where it was manufactured and who was its buyer.
"If bar coding is done, it would be very easy to keep a track of these devices. That is why we have taken the matter very seriously and asked the DIPP to deal with it on an urgent basis," he said.
Earlier, the DIPP had started bar coding of the packets of ammonium nitrate which is also frequently used by terrorists to carry out blasts.
However, the exercise has not been fruitful as the bar coding could be done only on the packets of ammonium nitrate which is powdery substance and also used as fertiliser.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder