State funding of elections is no good: CEC
New Delhi: Disagreeing with Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi has said that state funding of elections is no answer to black money.
"State funding will not take care of black money... The voters should be educated about ethical practices," Quraishi told a news channel in an interview.
Gandhi said in the Lok Sabha on Saturday that the state should fund elections. Quraishi differed: "State funding is not a good solution. It is not white money we are after but black money."
He also described Anna Hazares`s fast for a strong Lokpal as a wake-up call against galloping corruption. The hunger strike ended on Sunday.
And he added that the time had come to look at the much talked about electoral reforms.
The Election Commission, Quraishi said, was trying to fight money power in elections.
He said that in the Tamil Nadu elections of April, many voters alerted his office about money being distributed by candidates to buy votes.
Quraishi said those charged by courts should not be allowed to contest elections.
He admitted that several ministers and chief ministers were opposed to this idea.
According to Quraishi, unlike lakhs of undertrials who were being denied their fundamental rights and liberties, politicians were only being denied the right to contest.
But he disagreed with his predecessor James Lyngdoh, who has been quoted as saying that politicians were a cancer to society.
"I strongly oppose such a view. We should be proud of our democracy. We can`t hate our politicians and love democracy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video