State govt official arrested for accepting bribe
Nashik: Anti-Corruption Bureau officials caught a state government official while allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs 11 lakh here, police said Friday.
The divisional joint registrar of state government`s cooperation department, Gautam Bhalerao, was arrested last night for allegedly taking the bribe, DySP, ACB, R R Budhwant said.
Last week, Bhalerao had issued notices to three Nashik District Central Cooperative Bank`s (NDCC) directors - Prashant Hiray, Devidas Pingale, and Yashwant Bhoye - asking them why their directorship should not disqualified since they had defaulted in paying dues of the bank.
Later, he met Prashant`s son and NDCC`s chairman Advay Hiray and allegedly demanded bribe to prevent action against him and his father.
Advay had then lodged a complaint against Bhalerao with ACB.
Last night, Bhalerao allegedly demanded Rs 11 lakh from Advay. The ACB, which had laid a trap based on Advay`s complaint, caught Bhalerao while allegedly accepting the bribe.
Subsequently, Bhalerao was arrested and ACB conducted searches at his residence which continued till the wee hours today, Budhwant said.
The accused will be produced in a local court later today, he added.
Prashant Hiray, an NCP leader, is the son of former Maharashtra Health and Transport Minister Pushpatai Hiray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery