State laws against central policy a dangerous trend: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday ruled out passing resolutions by its state governments against central policies as done by the West Bengal Assembly on FDI in multi-brand retail, saying this would set a dangerous trend of opposition- ruled states blocking central plans.
Senior party leader Murli Manohar Joshi, while speaking out at a programme organised by BJP`s Traders` Cell here, turned down a proposal from the members that states where BJP is in power should pass a law stating FDI in multi-brand retail will not be allowed at any cost.
The section supporting this suggestion said Trinamool Congress-ruled West Bengal has passed such a resolution in the state assembly.
"Passing such a law by any of the states where BJP is in power would have a wrong and harmful impact. This would set a dangerous trend. What if we (NDA) come to power at the Centre in future and the Congress-ruled states refuse to implement any of our policies saying you had earlier opposed FDI in multi-brand retail?" Joshi said.
He cautioned that such suggestions having long term repercussions should be dealt cautiously. At the same time, he emphasised that BJP will continue to oppose FDI in multi-brand retail as it will harm the interest of farmers and small traders.
Joshi alleged that FDI giant Walmart has won over the Manmohan Singh government. "Walmart spent USD 13 million for lobbying in India as per its account books. And lobbying is another term for bribing," he alleged.
The BJP leader maintained that the foreign companies which set up shops in India will have to be given the same treatment as is given to indigenous brands.
Joshi insisted that BJP was always opposed to FDI in multi-brand retail and this was stated in the 2009 manifesto of the party as well.
He said FDI in this sector will not make goods cheaper or remove middlemen. "You will end up working under the dictatorship of the multi-nationals. This will be worse than what the East India Company did," Joshi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report