`State-sponsored stalking akin to intruding into people`s bedroom`
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
New Delhi: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Sunday lashed out at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s close aide Amit Shah who is alleged to have misused his powers and police machinery to monitor the movement of a young woman in 2009.
Questioning snooping on people, Tewari wrote, "Would you live in a society where state stalks your wives & daughters?"
While comparing snooping to invasion in people`s personal space, he also wrote, "State sponsored stalking akin to state intruding into people`s bedrooms. #AmitShah."
Congress member Jayanthi Natrajan, earlier in the day, sought an independent probe into the allegations made against Shah by a retired Supreme Court judge and asked if the women in the country are safe. Furthermore, Congress leader Girija Vyas also raised question on the source of expenses for spying on the Bangalore woman.
Investigative news websites Gulail and Cobrapost on Friday made public a half-an-hour tapped telephonic conversations, purportedly between Shah and Gujarat IPS officer GL Singhal, in which BJP general secretary is allegedly heard directing police to put a young woman and a senior IAS officer under illegal surveillance in 2009 when he was Gujarat’s minister of state for home.
On the other hand, BJP has rejected the allegations against Shah claiming that Congress`s `dirty tricks wing` is behind such allegations.
BJP President Rajnath Singh said that the girl`s father had asked Modi, with whom he had family relations, for security for his daughter. He also said that Modi was only performing his Dharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing