`State-sponsored stalking akin to intruding into people`s bedroom`
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
New Delhi: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Sunday lashed out at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s close aide Amit Shah who is alleged to have misused his powers and police machinery to monitor the movement of a young woman in 2009.
Questioning snooping on people, Tewari wrote, "Would you live in a society where state stalks your wives & daughters?"
While comparing snooping to invasion in people`s personal space, he also wrote, "State sponsored stalking akin to state intruding into people`s bedrooms. #AmitShah."
Congress member Jayanthi Natrajan, earlier in the day, sought an independent probe into the allegations made against Shah by a retired Supreme Court judge and asked if the women in the country are safe. Furthermore, Congress leader Girija Vyas also raised question on the source of expenses for spying on the Bangalore woman.
Investigative news websites Gulail and Cobrapost on Friday made public a half-an-hour tapped telephonic conversations, purportedly between Shah and Gujarat IPS officer GL Singhal, in which BJP general secretary is allegedly heard directing police to put a young woman and a senior IAS officer under illegal surveillance in 2009 when he was Gujarat’s minister of state for home.
On the other hand, BJP has rejected the allegations against Shah claiming that Congress`s `dirty tricks wing` is behind such allegations.
BJP President Rajnath Singh said that the girl`s father had asked Modi, with whom he had family relations, for security for his daughter. He also said that Modi was only performing his Dharma.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata