`State-sponsored stalking akin to intruding into people`s bedroom`
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
New Delhi: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Sunday lashed out at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s close aide Amit Shah who is alleged to have misused his powers and police machinery to monitor the movement of a young woman in 2009.
Questioning snooping on people, Tewari wrote, "Would you live in a society where state stalks your wives & daughters?"
While comparing snooping to invasion in people`s personal space, he also wrote, "State sponsored stalking akin to state intruding into people`s bedrooms. #AmitShah."
Congress member Jayanthi Natrajan, earlier in the day, sought an independent probe into the allegations made against Shah by a retired Supreme Court judge and asked if the women in the country are safe. Furthermore, Congress leader Girija Vyas also raised question on the source of expenses for spying on the Bangalore woman.
Investigative news websites Gulail and Cobrapost on Friday made public a half-an-hour tapped telephonic conversations, purportedly between Shah and Gujarat IPS officer GL Singhal, in which BJP general secretary is allegedly heard directing police to put a young woman and a senior IAS officer under illegal surveillance in 2009 when he was Gujarat’s minister of state for home.
On the other hand, BJP has rejected the allegations against Shah claiming that Congress`s `dirty tricks wing` is behind such allegations.
BJP President Rajnath Singh said that the girl`s father had asked Modi, with whom he had family relations, for security for his daughter. He also said that Modi was only performing his Dharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark