‘States must be asked to suspend land acquisition’
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday asked the Centre to
issue an advisory to all states to stop land acquisitions till
the legislation in this regard is passed by Parliament even as
it alleged that the Haryana government had leased acres of
land illegally to Rajiv Gandhi Education Society.
"The government should bring the Land Acquisition Bill
in Parliament in this session itself and not delay it further.
Also the Centre should issue an advisory to all state
governments that till this Bill is passed all land acquisition
should be stopped," former BJP President Rajnath Singh said.
He said injustice towards farmers is being done by
state governments in Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh,
Maharashtra among others. Some of the state governments were
acquiring land to benefit builders and this should be checked.
"Forcible and unfair land acquisitions are taking
place. In the blind race for development, destruction of land
and natural resources is taking place. There is misuse of
authority by the state governments. This is a form of
corruption," Singh said.
He made a special mention of Haryana where he had
visited Ullahawas and other adjoining villages on August 5 to
meet farmers agitating against land acquisition.
"In Ullahawas, I met farmers who said in 2005-06, land
was acquired with just Rs 12.5 Lakh compensation per acre and
given to the Rajiv Gandhi Education Society," Singh said.
Asked about the cost of this land, he said it had been
rated at Rs 5-10 Crore per acre.
Singh insisted that no work was done on the land and it
was again sold to a private builder. Even after five years no
building plan was made by those builders.
He maintained that there were many farmers in the
region who were facing problems of livelihood and
BJP alleged that the land has been leased to Rajiv
Gandhi Trust for a period of 33 years. It further said the
land belonged to the Gram Panchayat but given on lease to the
Trust without taking the Gram Sabha`s opinion.
"The Haryana government is misusing its powers. A
judicial probe should be ordered into this land acquisition.
It is unfortunate that this land was acquired in the name of
serving a public purpose. The land of farmers is being
looted," Singh said.
He alleged that while farmers are in a state of panic,
government seems to be acting hand in glove with corporate
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Three-year-old boy, rescued from a borewell in Gwalior, declared dead by doctors
- Thanks to natural forces, Antarctic temperature falls! But it's temporary
- I wanted to bat in the top seven for a long time, reveals Ravichandran Ashwin
- Ugly spat: Renuka Chowdhury reacts to Harsimrat Kaur's 'Kachra' allegation, calls it 'cheap political drama'
- Three suspects arrested in Florida for trying to join terror group ISIS