‘State`s powers being abrogated by the Centre’
New Delhi: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Monday warned against an "emerging pattern" wherein the state`s powers are "abrogated" by the Centre through passage of bills and accused it of showing "scant respect" for state governments.
In an all-round attack on the Congress-led UPA, Jayalalithaa accused the Central government of "encroaching on state powers" through the National Counter-Terrorism Centre which was in "contravention" to constitutional provisions that accord priority status to police in the State list.
Addressing the Chief Ministers` Conference on Internal Security here, she claimed that the Centre unilaterally decided on the Indo-US joint naval exercise in the Bay of Bengal without taking the state government into confidence.
"Lack of consultation with the states and failure to take the states into confidence is a cogent commentary on the system of governance in the Centre.
"...This is not all. Adding insult to injury, the central government did not permit the Consul-General of the US Consulate, Chennai, and senior Indian Navy Officials based in Chennai to meet me as the constitutional Head of the Government," she said.
Jayalalithaa, who is opposed to the NCTC, said this implies that the central government has "scant respect" for constitutionally-elected state governments.
She also expressed the hope that the Centre follow the principle of prior consultation with the state governments, whenever such important decisions are taken by the central government.
"No doubt, it is a pre-arranged exercise according to the prescribed tenets under covenant between two countries. Even so, is it too much to expect to be kept informed?" she asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30