States should keep watch on institutes lacking standard: Irani
New Delhi: Concerned over mushrooming of institutes that lack standard and faculty, Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani on Wednesday asked the states to keep a watch on such institutes and supported a `know your college` drive.
At a meet of the state higher education secretaries here, she asked them to monitor such Institutes to ensure that they conform to the prescribed standards.
The Minister also supported a `know your college` drive whereby it would be possible to get the details of colleges on the website, thus helping students to make correct choices, said a statement issued by the Ministry.
Officials said the Minister also emphasised the states to identify projects which would enhance higher secondary and technical education at the state level and execute them without delay.
With increased number of students, especially those from the Northeast, migrating to different parts of the countries for higher studies and opportunities, she laid stress on maintaining a harmonious relations between them and the locals.
Special steps were being taken by the Ministry to meet needs of higher education of students from the Northeast in the form of collaborative efforts with premier institutes of the country, Irani said.
The HRD Minister sought help of the states to create an enabling environment for education of children in backward areas, minorities, women, weaker sections and tribal zones.
She asked the states to revisit the Right to Education Act in the light of their experiences, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Now, 'drama company' AAP advised to start comedy show to entertain people
- Tanzania debris to be checked for MH370 link
- MM Khan murder case: AAP must realise it is no longer a 'street organisation', says Kiren Rijiju
- Never personally attacked CPI(M), Cong leaders, says Mamata
- Indian-American Christians condemn attack on Syria church head