States should take action against encroachment of Wakf assets
New Delhi: The Government on Friday expressed
concern over the incidents of encroachment of Wakf properties
and said it was for states to take corrective action.
In a written reply in Lok Sabha, Minority Affairs Minister
Salman Khurshid said as per section 32 of the Wakf Act, 1995,
the general administration of all Wakf properties in a state
vests in the Board established by the state and it is the duty
of the Board to exercise its powers to ensure that assets are
properly maintained, controlled and administered.
"Therefore, it is the duty of the state government
concerned and the state Wakf Board to manage the properties
properly and take corrective action," he added.
Khurshid also admitted that there have been reports from
time to time regarding encroachment of Wakf properties in
various parts of the country on which even the Joint
Parliamentary Committee on Wakf and the Sachar Committee have
adversely commented upon.
"There have also been reports of illegal sale of Wakf
properties in the country including in Mumbai. As the matter
pertains to the domain of a state government and the remedial
action is also to be taken by the state government concerned
or the state Wakf Board, the Central government relies upon
the states for appropriate corrective action," he said.
He also said the proposed amendments in the existing
Wakf Act, 1995 aim at making the state Wakf Boards more
effective in dealing with the problems of encroachments.
The government today passed a bill in Lok Sabha to
streamline functioning of Boards across the country and check
encroachment of Wakf properties.
Replying to another question, Khurshid said a scheme of
grants-in-aid to the Central Wakf Council (CWC) for
administrative expenditure has also been launched to
strengthen CWC and improve its institutional capacity to deal
with matters relating to the management of Wakf properties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?