States showed there isn`t substitute to good governance: BJP
New Delhi: BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad on Thursday alleged that UPA`s failure to ensure good governance was responsible for retarded progress in key sectors, and compared it with the double digit growth rate in BJP ruled states.
Observing that there is no substitute to good governance, Prasad said people are beginning to recognise performance.
"Why is it that amid the gloom there are states which are recording a growth record of 10 per in comparison to the national negative growth rate. This is because of good governance," he said.
People are beginning to recognise performance. Those who perform are being rewarded. Those who don`t are being shown the door, he said while addressing the Annual General Body meeting of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) here.
Slamming Planning Commission deputy chairperson Montek Singh Ahluwalia who appeared to back the Delhi government`s move to hike power tariff, Prasad said Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh were able to promise 24 hours power supply without raising the tariff rate because they went by proper management and strengthening distribution system.
"I am of the considered view that good governance is the link between good economics and good politics. But nothing would suffice unless delivery would be good," he said.
He said the growth momentum initiated during the NDA regime in sectors such as telecom and highways had slowed down as the present dispensation has failed in providing good governance.
"Such an extraordinary success in national highways has came almost to a state of collapse and the NHAI got mired in CBI raids, corruption in allocation contracts, and some are exiting. The growth story initiated in the NDA rule in the telecom has come to a nought," he said.
He also raised the coal block allocation issue and said the growth in the real estate sector has also "come under serious suspicion" in the wake of charges of irregularities and nepotism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video