Staying at Taj was a `message` to terrorists: Hillary
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton has said that by staying at the Taj Hotel in Mumbai,
targeted during 26/11 attacks, she wanted to send the message
that the US and India will work together to "stamp out"
terrorism and are "not giving in" to terrorists.
"I wanted to start in Mumbai and I wanted to stay here
(at Taj), and I wanted to show our sympathy and solidarity for
the people who lost their lives and were injured in the
terrorist attack and for those who courageously prevented more
deaths and injury," she said.
She wanted to "make it very clear" that "we`re going to
work together to stamp out the scourge of terrorism," Clinton
said in an interview recorded in Mumbai for the "On the
Record" programme of Fox News channel.
"I think part of staying here, part of the message that I
want to send is that, just like we did after 9/11, we are not
giving in. We are not in any way intimidated by the
terrorists," the 61-year-old top American diplomat said.
She said she was "very anxious" to come to India.
"We waited until after their elections were over, which
we thought appropriate. And then as soon as I could, I
scheduled a trip to come and talk to the leaders about all the
issues that we are going to work on together," Clinton said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez