Still distance to be covered on Teesta pact: PM
On Board Air India One: There is still some
distance to be covered before the Teesta water-sharing
agreement with Bangladesh can be signed, Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh said on Saturdaytoday.
He said the Centre has had discussions with West Bengal
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, whose strong reservations had
scuttled the signing of the agreement earlier this year.
"It is too early. We have held preliminary discussion
(with Banerjee). There is still some distance to be covered,"
Singh told journalists accompanying him while returning from
He was responding when asked about the progress on signing
of the agreement under which India and Bangladesh will share
Teesta River water.
Singh, who met Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in
Maldives on the sidelines of SAARC Summit, said they had held
a brief discussion of the Teesta problem.
"I mentiond to the Prime Minister (Hasina) that we will
work to build a national consensus so that an agreement can
become a realistic proposition," he said.
He said the two leaders also discussed the roadmap for the
implementation of the Agreement on Boundaries signed in
"As you know, we have reached an Agreement but it
requires Constitutional amendment. We will work to that end,"
There was also other discussion about providing
electricity to Bangladesh from India and "we said within the
limits of our capabilities, we will certainly be helpful," the
Prime Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers