Stoning of Shatabdi express; two boys arrested
Panipat (Haryana): Two teenaged boys were
arrested on Thursday in connection with the stoning of the Shatabdi
express in which Rahul Gandhi was travelling and police said
investigations revealed there was no criminal intent.
The boys aged 14 and 16 admitted to stoning the Amritsar
-New Delhi Shatabdi on Tuesday night and said they did so for
the fun of it without any criminal intention and did not know
Rahul was on the train, Rohtak Range IGP V Kamraj said, adding
the case has been solved.
Police earlier in the day detained three teenagers aged
14, 16 and 19 on suspicion and two of them were arrested while
the 19-year-old was let off. The duo have admitted to their
involvement and revealed that they used to throw stones
intermittently on the trains earlier too deriving pleasure out
of it, Kamraj said.
The two arrested boys picked up from a colony in Nasib
Vihar in Karnal district`s Gharaunda close to which the
stoning took place were booked under Section 152 (damaging
railway property) of the Indian Railways Act, he said.
Asked if they knew whether Rahul, a AICC general
secretary, was on board the train on Tuesday night, Kamraj
said, "one of the arrested boys told us that they had no
knowledge about him being on the train".
"Humko thodey patha tha ki Rahul Gandhi us train may safar
kar rahein hein (we had no knowledge that Rahul Gandhi was
travelling in the train)," Kamraj said quoting one of the
arrested boys, both of whom come from a poor background.
While one boy has had some education, the 14-year-old has
never gone to school, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore