Stop assassinating Karmapa`s character: His office tells media
Dharamsala: Karmapa Ugyen Trinley Dorje`s
office on Saturday asked the press to cease his "character
assassination" over the foreign currency haul issue and
accused state and central agencies of allowing "reckless
slander" about him being a Chinese spy to go on unchallenged.
"Those who have been following the Karmapa affair would
have noted, definitely with some consternation, the
street-corner gossip which appears to be informing not only
reportage in the media, but also influencing the government
machinery," a statement issued by Karmapa`s office said.
Bank accounts of a trust backed by the Karmapa and its
trustees have been frozen in connection with the probe into
the seizure of a huge amount of foreign currency from a
transit home of the Tibetan spiritual leader.
The Karmapa`s office said ever since Himachal police
termed as "unexplained" its recovery of donations to the trust
in cash, aspersions have been cast on the Karmapa, with the
agencies concerned "allowing" reports suggesting that the
government of India suspected him of being a Chinese agent to
"go on unchallenged".
"The authorities in Himachal and central agencies are
keeping busy with such a game, with the media at large
offering itself up as willing hand-maiden to such
mindlessness," the statement alleged.
It denied allegations that the Karmapa had rallied in
support of the Communist Chinese government and stressed that
he had fled 11 years ago.
"The preposterous claim that he is a Chinese spy or agent
is a complete fabrication, utterly baseless and reckless
slander," Karmapa`s spokesperson Karma Topden said.
"The Karmapa office appeals to the press to cease
character assassination of the Karmapa, one of the most
revered figures in Tibetan Buddhism, and a spiritual leader to
Buddhists worldwide and refrain from publishing further
uncorroborated and unfounded charges," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack