Stop ostentatious functions at memorials: Sonia
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asking the Government to cut down unnecessary expenditure by avoiding ostentatious displays during functions organized at memorials of leaders in Delhi.
In her letter to Singh, Gandhi also wanted steps to be taken to ensure that there was minimum inconvenience to the public on such occasions, a senior party leader said adding that the communication was sent about a month back.
"The import of the letter is that the expenditure on such programmes should be minimized. Gandhi wanted that instead of creating a pomp and show, it will be better if sincere people go there out of genuine feelings," the leader said.
Such functions are orgnaized by the government on the birth and death anniversaries at a number of memorials in Delhi including Rajghat of (Mahatma Gandhi), Veerbhumi (Rajiv Gandhi), Shanti Van (Jawaharlal Nehru), Shakti Sthal (Indira Gandhi) and (Vijay Ghat) of Lal Bahadur Shastri.
There has been some criticism in the past of the government spending huge money on advertisements by ministries and departments to mark some of these anniversaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss