Stop police atrocities, Telangana Congress MPs ask PM, Sonia
New Delhi: Congress MPs from Telangana have written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi, asking them to intervene to stop police atrocities against the people of the region.
The MPs, who met here Thursday, narrated the plight and harassment of Osmania University students at the hands of the police last week.
"The police attacked the girls hostel. They molested the girl students after switching off the lights," said Congress MP Madhu Goud Yaskhi, who represents the Nizamabad Lok Sabha constituency in parliament.
The Andhra Pradesh High Court Tuesday had taken serious note of the incidents, especially the beating up of girl students by the police, switching off the electricity supply, and firing of teargas shells in the dark.
"The police and the state administration are trying to brand the students of Osmania University as Maoists. The state government and the police are misleading the nation," Yaskhi told a news agency.
He said that eight Congress MPs from the state had decided to write the letter.
"We are under pressure from the people. They are asking us to quit (as MPs). Angry people came to my home in Nizamabad and asked me to resign and join the agitation. Some even attacked my home.
"All Congress legislators and MPs from Telangana are facing such a situation. This happened because the police provoked the people. The state government is responsible for such a provocation," Yaskhi said.
He said the MPs wanted the officials responsible for last week`s attack on students and journalists at Osmania University punished.
"Deploy senior police officials, who belong to other states, in the region. We won`t get justice from the police officers who oppose the Telangana cause," Yaskhi said.
He said the Congress MPs would raise the issues of the people of Telangana in the forthcoming session of parliament.
"We will raise the issues in appropriate parliamentary forums," Yaskhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Mercedes to have petrol variants across portfolio in India by September
- Opposition alleges use of coercion, threats in RS polls in Jharkhand
- LOL: Never ever say these annoying things to a tall person! – Watch video
- Max Landis writing 'Pepe Le Pew' movie!
- Demand to ban advertisements on fairness creams in RS