Stop police atrocities, Telangana Congress MPs ask PM, Sonia
New Delhi: Congress MPs from Telangana have written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi, asking them to intervene to stop police atrocities against the people of the region.
The MPs, who met here Thursday, narrated the plight and harassment of Osmania University students at the hands of the police last week.
"The police attacked the girls hostel. They molested the girl students after switching off the lights," said Congress MP Madhu Goud Yaskhi, who represents the Nizamabad Lok Sabha constituency in parliament.
The Andhra Pradesh High Court Tuesday had taken serious note of the incidents, especially the beating up of girl students by the police, switching off the electricity supply, and firing of teargas shells in the dark.
"The police and the state administration are trying to brand the students of Osmania University as Maoists. The state government and the police are misleading the nation," Yaskhi told a news agency.
He said that eight Congress MPs from the state had decided to write the letter.
"We are under pressure from the people. They are asking us to quit (as MPs). Angry people came to my home in Nizamabad and asked me to resign and join the agitation. Some even attacked my home.
"All Congress legislators and MPs from Telangana are facing such a situation. This happened because the police provoked the people. The state government is responsible for such a provocation," Yaskhi said.
He said the MPs wanted the officials responsible for last week`s attack on students and journalists at Osmania University punished.
"Deploy senior police officials, who belong to other states, in the region. We won`t get justice from the police officers who oppose the Telangana cause," Yaskhi said.
He said the Congress MPs would raise the issues of the people of Telangana in the forthcoming session of parliament.
"We will raise the issues in appropriate parliamentary forums," Yaskhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested