Stop police `excesses` in Bastar: CPI to PM
New Delhi: The CPI on Saturday appealed to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh to take steps to end the "vicious
excesses" of police and security forces against the people of
Bastar in Chhattisgarh "in the name of fighting Maoists".
"Police forces in the name of fighting Maoists are
playing havoc in the Bastar region," party General Secretary A
B Bardhan said in a letter to the Prime Minister.
Charging Dantewada SSP S R P Kalluri with targeting
leaders and cadres of CPI and various mass organisations, he
said "this notorious police officer is intimidating and
torturing innocent tribals and ultimately pushing them to the
fold of the Maoists. The cruelties of the security forces are
forcing the tribals to take up arms".
Maintaining that Kalluri had ordered withdrawal of
security provided to CPI leader and All India Adivasi
Mahasabha President Manish Kunjam, he said the officer had
also got several CPI leaders and cadres arrested, accusing
them of eliminating the influence of BJP and Congress and
spreading the Communist party`s influence in Bastar.
"He (Kalluri) considers this as his mission. How is this
police officer called upon to decide the relative influence of
political parties in the region," Bardhan asked.
The top CPI leader said "we sincerely hope that you, as
the Prime Minister, will understand the ground reality and put
an end to the vicious excesses of such police and other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing