Stop reading newspapers early in the day, advises SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Tuesday suggested that one should avoid reading newspapers early in the morning to get through the day.
"If you want to keep your day fresh, don`t read newspapers for at least the early two hours of the day," the vacation bench of Justice G.S. Singhvi and Justice C.K. Prasad said.
The observation came when advocate Ratnakar Dash, appearing for the Uttar Pradesh government in an ongoing case, drew the attention of the court to a news report that Law and Justice Minister M.Veerappa Moily sought to blame judicial activism for boosting Maoism.
Blaming "unrealistic judicial activism" as the main reason for increased Maoist activities, the minister said: "If the courts had exhibited restraint and gone according to ground realities in the forests, the situation would have been totally different today".
"My concern is when judges admit PILs and deliver judgments, they should be realistic and go by the ground realities instead of believing on the arguments," he said, according to the report.
Reacting to Moily`s statement, Justice Singhvi said: "We have stopped reading newspapers." Dash said that he was piqued over the law minister`s statement and could not restrain himself in raising it before the court.
At this, Justice Singhvi said, "We are not affected by extraneous factors."
"Still better, we will not reply," he added, before the court proceeded with the hearing of the case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents