Stopping mining projects not a solution: Pranab
New Delhi: Amid tribals protesting against some mining projects, the Government on Friday said that people being displaced should be provided alternative sources of livelihood, besides adequate compensation, but solution does not lie in stopping projects.
"Answer does not lie in the companies stopping mining activities. Answer lies in providing alternatives to those displaced... in what form we can compensate them and make them beneficiary of economic development," Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee told the Coal Summit.
Mukherjee`s comments come at a time when a Group of Ministers (GoMs), headed by him, is deliberating upon a proposal to give tribals a part of profits in mining projects.
"We are addressing this issue," he said.
The GoM has proposed that 26 percent of the net profit of mining projects should go to the displaced tribals and other affected locals.
However, the proposal has been criticised in certain quarters.
Meanwhile, the Mines Ministry had said its final draft will go with the recommendations of the GoM.
"Based on the discussion of the Group of Ministers, the final draft of the new mining bill is being prepared by the Mines Ministry and will be placed before the GoM. After that
it is to be sent to the Cabinet," Mines Secretary S Vijay Kumar had said.
The GoM will meet soon to clear the final draft of the Bill.
An estimated Rs 1.5 lakh crore worth of green field steel projects of ArcelorMittal and Posco have been delayed for about 5 years due to tribal protects against land acquisition
in areas like Orissa and Jharkhand.
Mukherjee also asked coal companies to make investment in coal washing to realise better returns in the long run.
"In our medium term plan we should emphasise on coal washing. The moment we supply washed coal to the end users, I think we can charge little more... therefore more investment in this aspect will be paying in the long term," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security