`Storm in S China sea to slow down monsoon`
New Delhi: The advance of south-west monsoon, crucial for India`s agri-economy, is likely to slow down under the influence of an atmospheric depression in the South China Sea but expected to pick up steam over the weekend.
Monsoon on Tuesday covered parts of Chhattisgarh, Odisha, West Bengal, Sikkim, Jharkhand and Bihar and the weather office said conditions were favourable for its further advance.
Weather scientists admitted that there would be "some slowing down" of monsoon under the impact of atmospheric depression `Talim` which was expected to intensify into a typhoon and suck up the moisture feeding the monsoonal flows.
"The influence of Talim will last for 2-3 days. It will not kill the monsoon," India Meteorological Department (IMD) Director General L S Rathore said.
IMD officials said they still stuck to their April forecast of normal monsoon with a seasonal rainfall 99 per cent of the long period average.
Talim had developed in the wake of typhoon Guchol that was formed in the region last week and has now moved into Japan.
Meanwhile, good rains in the past few days have reduced the monsoon deficiency to 25 per cent for the period June 1 to 19, down from 50 per cent last week.
"A couple of good spells will further reduce the deficiency," weather scientists said.
Monsoon has been deficient in most parts of peninsular India and some parts of Central India.
Since the onset, the country as a whole has received 63.9 mm rainfall as against the normal of 84.7 mm for the period of June 1-19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!