Storm over Telangana, price rise disrupts LS
New Delhi: It was back to adjournments as the Lok Sabha met after a three-week break on Tuesday with members from Telangana raising the issue of statehood to the region and Left parties demanding a discussion on spiralling prices.
The Lok Sabha was first adjourned till 12 noon shortly after it began its sitting, and again till 2 pm.
Trouble began shortly after the House assembled for the day. There were obituary references for NKP Salve and Dinesh Pratap Singh, former members of the House, following which Speaker Meira Kumar took up Question Hour.
But MPs from the Telangana region, including those from the Congress, raised the statehood issue and started shouting slogans.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee were in the House as the party MPs from Telangana disrupted proceedings, refusing to heed the requests of senior ministers P Chidambaram and Pawan Kumar Bansal to get back to their seats.
The Telangana MPs were joined by the Left members, who wanted suspension of the Question Hour to discuss the issue of spiralling price rise. They wanted the Speaker to take up their notice in this regard.
"I have received your notice. I will allow you to raise the issue during Zero Hour. Let the question hour continue," Meira Kumar told them.
The shouting, though, remained unabated despite Meira Kumar`s repeated appeals to them to let the House continue on with Question Hour.
Some of the members trooped out of their seats towards the Speaker`s chair. They also did not heed the Speaker`s advice to return to their seats.
Meira Kumar was then forced to adjourn the House till noon.
When the House resumed its sitting after the brief disruption, the scenes were repeated by the Telangana MPs.
But Meira Kumar quickly went through the list of business, asking ministers and members to lay papers as per the list of business for the day.
The Speaker called for Zero Hour, but the shouting and disruptions continued, resulting in her adjourning the House till 2 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon