Storm over Telangana, price rise disrupts LS
New Delhi: It was back to adjournments as the Lok Sabha met after a three-week break on Tuesday with members from Telangana raising the issue of statehood to the region and Left parties demanding a discussion on spiralling prices.
The Lok Sabha was first adjourned till 12 noon shortly after it began its sitting, and again till 2 pm.
Trouble began shortly after the House assembled for the day. There were obituary references for NKP Salve and Dinesh Pratap Singh, former members of the House, following which Speaker Meira Kumar took up Question Hour.
But MPs from the Telangana region, including those from the Congress, raised the statehood issue and started shouting slogans.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee were in the House as the party MPs from Telangana disrupted proceedings, refusing to heed the requests of senior ministers P Chidambaram and Pawan Kumar Bansal to get back to their seats.
The Telangana MPs were joined by the Left members, who wanted suspension of the Question Hour to discuss the issue of spiralling price rise. They wanted the Speaker to take up their notice in this regard.
"I have received your notice. I will allow you to raise the issue during Zero Hour. Let the question hour continue," Meira Kumar told them.
The shouting, though, remained unabated despite Meira Kumar`s repeated appeals to them to let the House continue on with Question Hour.
Some of the members trooped out of their seats towards the Speaker`s chair. They also did not heed the Speaker`s advice to return to their seats.
Meira Kumar was then forced to adjourn the House till noon.
When the House resumed its sitting after the brief disruption, the scenes were repeated by the Telangana MPs.
But Meira Kumar quickly went through the list of business, asking ministers and members to lay papers as per the list of business for the day.
The Speaker called for Zero Hour, but the shouting and disruptions continued, resulting in her adjourning the House till 2 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games
- PM Narendra Modi's brother raises arrest of dhaba owner with Indore police chief
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected
- Wow! UP govt to set up theme park on K Asif's magnum opus ‘Mughal-e-Azam’ in Etawah
- India 'A' leads table with 11 points despite match with South Africa 'A' being abandoned due to rain