Strategic talks, Afghanistan on Hillary`s India agenda
Washington: Besides preparing for the next month`s Indo-US Strategic Dialogue here, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will discuss a range of bilateral issues and Afghanistan with Indian leadership when she arrives in New Delhi next week.
While the specifics of Clinton`s trip to India ? with stops in Kolkata and New Delhi ? are still being given a final shape, a senior Obama administration official involved in the planning said the Secretary wanted to visit India ahead of the next month`s crucial meeting here, as she had not visited the country after the last year`s Strategic Dialogue in New Delhi.
"Secretary had not been to India since her trip there after last year`s Strategic Dialogue and I think, she wanted to do so," the official told reporters ahead of the Clinton`s visit to Bangladesh and India from May 5 to 8.
After her visit to Kolkata, Clinton would travel to New Delhi for her meetings with External Affairs Minister S M Krishna, National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon, and possibly with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"In Delhi, it would be a good opportunity to review the progress in our relations since her visit in June 2011 and again to look ahead to the Strategic Dialogue that we would be hosting in June in Washington," the official said.
The State Department would have more to announce about the specifics in the days to come, he noted.
"In terms of our bilateral relations, I would say, we continue to make progress. We are breaking new ground in areas like clean energy and health, security and science and technology. Our trade continues to expand very rapidly and is expected to exceed USD 100 billion this year," he said, adding the government to government dialogue has never been stronger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa