Stree Shakti Award for Nirbhaya on International Women`s day
New Delhi: The December 16 Delhi gang-rape victim will be posthumously bestowed with `Stree Shakti` award as a tribute to her courage and strength on the International Women`s day on Friday.
Sources said the Women and Child Development (WCD) Ministry felt the `Spirit of Nirbhaya` should be honoured with the `Stree Shakti` awards awarded every year to outstanding women of the country.
The family of Nirbhaya would receive the award from President Pranab Mukherjee tomorrow.
"There was a view that the victim had demonstrated remarkable strength and fight in the face of the ordeal faced by her and the incident has also generated enormous awareness and sensitised a large section of the society on the need to provide protection to women," a source said.
As a measure of recognition of achievements in individual women in the field of social development, the government had instituted of 6 national awards which are called `Stree Shakti Puraskar`.
The awards are in the name of the eminent women personalities namely Devi Ahalya Bai Holkar, Kannagi, Mata Jajabai, Rani Gaidinliu Zeliang, Rani Lakshmi Bai and Rani Rudramma Devi (which is open to both men and women).
The spirit of `Nirbhaya`, a name by which many remember the Delhi gangrape victim, would be given Rani Laxmi Bai award which has been instituted to recognise the spirit of courage and the personal achievement of a woman in difficult circumstances, who has established this spirit of courage in her individual or professional life, guidelines for the awards say.
Each of the six `Stree Shakti Awards` carries a cash award of Rs 3 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'