Strength of the Maoist groups is around 8,500: Govt
New Delhi: Government Wednesday said the cadre strength of the Maoist organisations is around 8,500 and they have forged tactical understanding with some insurgent groups in the Northeast for procuring arms and ammunition.
"As per available reports, the estimated armed cadre strength of the Left Wing Extremist groups is around 8,500. However, their support base is in larger number," Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju informed Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
The Minister said the Naxals are using sophisticated weapons like LMG, AK-47 etc. For attacks on security forces and notwithstanding some setbacks in the recent times, the CPI(Maoist) retains its core armed strength and the capacity to launch spectacular attacks.
He said LWE groups recruit a large number of youth every year and as per reports available, in 2013, these groups recruited around 433 cadres from the LWE affected states.
Rijiju said the banned CPI(Maoist) is trying to establish organisational bases in the Northeast with a view to forge relations with other insurgent groups to meet its military requirements and the Central government has alerted the state governments concerned.
"The CPI(Maoist) has developed close fraternal ties with Northeast insurgent groups like the Revolutionary People`s Front, People`s Liberation Army of Manipur, NSCN(IM) and ULFA. The outfit also forged tactical understanding with the RPF, PLA and NSCN(IM) for procuring arms and ammunition and imparting military, communication training to its cadres," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know