Strict action against anyone found guilty in harassment case: Antony
Kochi: Defence Minister AK Antony on Saturday said that no leniency would be shown to anyone found guilty on the complaint filed by a Navy officer`s wife alleging that she had been harassed by her husband and his seniors.
"The Defence Ministry treats this type of complaint very seriously. An inquiry will be conducted and strict action, including dismissal, will be initiated against anyone found guilty," Antony said.
"I have sought a report from the Navy on the complaint and the probe is not yet over," Antony told reporters after commissioning the ex-servicemen Contributory Health Services online bill processing scheme at the Southern Naval Command.
In addition to the Navy`s probe, two parallel investigations were progressing - one by Delhi Police and another by Kerala Police, Antony said, adding that so it will not be proper to say more now.
"In this particular case, it would not be correct to reach a conclusion as three investigations are progressing," Antony said, a day after he ordered dismissal of a Navy officer found guilty of having illicit relations with the wife of his superior.
The dismissal of the officer came at a time when the Navy is in the midst of dealing with a police complaint by the wife of a Navy officer in Kochi accusing his seniors and colleagues of sexual harassment.
The incident at the Southern Naval Command came to light after the woman filed the complaint with local Harbour Police, which registered a case against 10 people, including her husband, under Sec 498 (enticing or taking away or detaining with criminal intent a married woman) of IPC on April 4.
In her complaint, the woman stated that she was "tortured" for dowry, and seniors and colleagues of her husband had attempted to molest her.
The Navy had denied her charges saying the complaint was the result of "a marital discord" and the allegations raised by the woman against "superior officers" were "unfair".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city