Strict laws alone not sufficient for women`s safety: Chavan
Nagpur: Strict laws alone are not enough to tackle crimes against women, there is a need for change in society`s perception for their better safety and security, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan has said.
"A change in mindset towards women in the society is needed. Merely making stringent laws to deal with offences against women will not be sufficient," Chavan said here last night.
Women are no longer lagging behind in any field - be it education or services, he said.
Girls have been outshining boys in academic results and are securing top positions, he mentioned.
The UPA at the Centre and the Maharashtra government were committed to women empowerment, he assured, adding that 50 percent reservation for women have been made in local bodies elections.
Chavan last night dedicated a community hall and a women`s development centre to NGO Jain Saheli Mandal (friends club) at Butibori industrial estate near here.
State Industries Minister Narayan Rane also assured government`s help to women`s group in their entrepreneurship through Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC).
Former BJP national president Nitin Gadkari, MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre, state ministers Shivajirao Moghe (Social Justice), Sanjay Deotale (Cultural), Anil Deshmukh (Food and civil supplies), Nitin Raut (EGS), Minister of State Rajendra Mulak (Finance), Members of Parliament, Vijay Darda, Datta Meghe and others were also present on the occasion.
Jain Saheli Mandal`s president Jyotsana Darda said the organisation has been providing opportunities to needy women through self-help groups in becoming financially independent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?