Stringent punishment for offences related to spurious drugs
New Delhi: Government is in the process of
notifying a legislation which will provide for stringent
punishment, including life imprisonment, for offences related
to spurious drugs, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad informed
Rajya Sabha today.
"Within a week we will notify the legislation which has
provisions for strict punishment, including life sentence, and
setting up of special courts for dealing with offences related
to fake drugs," he said responding to concerns of members.
Azad said costly drugs and those prescribed for long
durations to combat deadly diseases like cancer, are normally
He said a whistle blower policy is being formulated
wherein awards would be given to informers for providing
information on clandestine activities relating to manufacture
and trade of fake drugs.
The minister also informed the House that recently a
consignment of drugs with `Made in India` label was caught in
Nigeria. However, it was found after inquiry by India that the
consignment had come from China, he said.
In another case, bulk drugs from unregistered sources
originating from China were detected at Chennai port. The
consignments were not permitted to be released and CBI is
looking into the matter.
Azad said his ministry coordinates on such issues with
ministries of external affairs and commerce.
He said specific training programmes for regulatory
officials of state governments on logistics of intelligence
work and prosecutions have been conducted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city