Stringent punishment sought for stalking, acid attack
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) wants separate clauses on acid attacks and stalking of women in the the Indian Penal Code and stringent punishment for the crimes.
The commission sought the changes in the penal provisions in its recommendation to the Justice J.S. Verma Committee constituted to review laws on crimes against women following the Dec 16, 2012, gang-rape in Delhi, NCW sources said.
The women`s panel also recommended amendments to the NCW Act, 1990, to make it strong, independent and more effective.
It recommended adding new sections to the penal code making stalking of women a crime and inclusion of a separate clause for acid attack with minimum imprisonment of 10 years.
A provision should be made for to make throwing or using of acid in any form on the body of other persons a crime with a punishment of not less than 10 years, the sources said.
They said the commission had been regularly recommending amendments to criminal and other laws to make them more effective for protection of women and their rights.
It recommended amendments to laws relating to rape and proposed a scheme for relief and rehabilitation of rape victims.
Under the scheme, the NCW proposed that victims of rape should be provided an interim assistance of Rs.20,000 preferably within two-three weeks.
The assistance may be increased to Rs.3 lakh in cases involving minor girls, mentally challenged or handicapped women, HIV/AIDS affected women or those who get pregnant because of rape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video