Strong demand in LS for statement from PM on CVC issue
New Delhi: A demand for a statement from Prime inister Manmohan Singh in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling quashing the appointment of CVC, disrupted proceedings in the Lok Sabha on Friday.
Immediately after the Question Hour, Left members as also JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav raised the matter vociferously, leading to adjournment of the House for 45 minutes.
BJP members were conspicuous by their silence on the issue.
In the din, expelled Samajwadi Party member Jayaprada made strident demand that the government should clarify as to when it is going to bring the Women`s Reservation Bill in the Lok Sabha.
"The International Women`s Day on March 8 is coming near and there is no mention of this (Bill) in the Lok Sabha agenda. The Bill has been passed by Rajya Sabha," she said, pointing towards Law and Justice Minister M Veerappa Moily, who was present in the House.
The cine start-turned politician alleged that injustice was being done to women and there was no one to protect their interests. "Why did you bring the Bill in Rajya Sabha and get it passed. And now, you should give reasons why you are not bringing it in the Lok Sabha."
She was countered by Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs V Narayanasamy, who said the member has not given notice on the issue.
CPI(M) leader Basudeb Acharia and Gurudas Dasgupta (CPI) said, "We have all given notice. You should allow us to raise the (CVC) issue."
The Prime Minister should come to the House and respond. "He owes an explanation to the country," Acharia said.
"It is a serious matter. Give me a minute to speak," pleaded JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav.
AIADMK members were seen standing raising some issue, but what they were saying could not be heard.
As the din continued despite repeated appeals, Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the House till 1300 hours.
The Supreme Court yesterday quashed the appointment of PJ Thomas as the Central Vigilance Commissioner following a corruption case against him in Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video