`Strong India-Middle East ties will benefit both`
New Delhi: Underlining the need for
increased cooperation between India and Middle East, Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha K Rahman Khan Wednesday said close ties between the two sides would prove beneficial for both of them.
"About two billions of Indians are working in Saudi
Arabia, which is virtually the centre of the Middle East. Our
NRIs are remitting USD 11 billion annually in the Indian
economy. I am sure the two countries coming together will
benefit both," Khan told reporters here.
He was talking to journalists after returning from Saudi
Arabia`s capital Riyadh, where he led an Indian delegation in
the recently concluded Third G-20 Speakers` Consultation
The conference mainly discussed the impact of Eurozone
financial crisis on G-20 nations in which India is also a
party, the energy crisis in the world and the alternatives
available and global dialogue of cultures.
In the three-day convention that concluded on February
26, Khan made presentation on the theme of `Financial Crisis and
its impact on Global Economy` and an intervention on the theme
`Global Dialogue of Cultures`.
He said changes taking place in world economy, including
a shift in economic balance towards emerging markets, will
have significant policy implications at the global level.
Khan said that the Riyadh conference focused on the
financial crisis and the need of sustainable development of
energy on a priority basis.
"The existing barriers to free trade have negatively
impacted developing economies. It is, therefore, important
that the trade regime built under the auspices of WTO
addresses the concerns of the developing countries," he said.
Khan also said that the diversity of Indian society and
inter-faith harmony here received wide acclaim during the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know