Study on EVMs with voter-verifiable paper trail underway: ECI
Ahmedabad: The Election Commission of India (ECI) is carrying out a study to check the feasibility of introducing EVMs with voter-verifiable paper print trail, an ECI official said here on Saturday.
"After a meeting with all the political parties, it was discussed whether a voter-verifiable paper print trail machine can be introduced to increase the level of voter`s confidence. In the wake of their request, the ECI is conducting a feasibility study," ECI director general Akshay Raut said.
Raut was replying to a media query over the possibility of introduction of Paper Audit Trail Machines during elections in India, in the wake of controversy over the performance of electronic voting machines.
Several political parties have time and again raised questions on the possibility of tampered EVMs. The ECI has denied the charge and said EVMs are absolutely tamper proof and voter-friendly.
"The Commission-- administratively, legally and technically -- is absolutely assured that EVMs are tamper proof and voter-friendly," Raut said.
"The feasibility study is being done to check whether it was technically feasible," he said while referring to paper trail machines, where voters could cross-check that the vote cast by them electronically on EVMs was the same as appearing on paper.
"Once the feasibility study is done, then only we can say something on it," he said.
An independent committee is studying the feasibility on whether improvements should be made in EVMs, official sources also said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’