Study on EVMs with voter-verifiable paper trail underway: ECI
Ahmedabad: The Election Commission of India (ECI) is carrying out a study to check the feasibility of introducing EVMs with voter-verifiable paper print trail, an ECI official said here on Saturday.
"After a meeting with all the political parties, it was discussed whether a voter-verifiable paper print trail machine can be introduced to increase the level of voter`s confidence. In the wake of their request, the ECI is conducting a feasibility study," ECI director general Akshay Raut said.
Raut was replying to a media query over the possibility of introduction of Paper Audit Trail Machines during elections in India, in the wake of controversy over the performance of electronic voting machines.
Several political parties have time and again raised questions on the possibility of tampered EVMs. The ECI has denied the charge and said EVMs are absolutely tamper proof and voter-friendly.
"The Commission-- administratively, legally and technically -- is absolutely assured that EVMs are tamper proof and voter-friendly," Raut said.
"The feasibility study is being done to check whether it was technically feasible," he said while referring to paper trail machines, where voters could cross-check that the vote cast by them electronically on EVMs was the same as appearing on paper.
"Once the feasibility study is done, then only we can say something on it," he said.
An independent committee is studying the feasibility on whether improvements should be made in EVMs, official sources also said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi