Sub-quota insufficient: Muslim organisations
New Delhi: Several Muslim organisations
on Sunday said the UPA government`s decision to provide 4.5 per
cent reservation for minorities within the existing 27 per
cent OBC quota was "a good but insufficient move".
"It is a good beginning but 4.5 per cent reservation is
too less. We hope the government will provide 10 per cent
quota for Muslims as recommended by the Ranganath Commission,"
Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind Chief Maulana Arshad Madani told PTI.
Jalaluddin Umri, a Jamaat-e-Islami Hind leader, said
"the 4.5 per cent quota is not sufficient. The Ranganath
Commission had recommended 10 per cent reservation for
Muslims. We do not want less than that."
He said the government should declare all Muslims as
The All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat (AIMMM) also
demanded 10 per cent reservation for Muslims.
"We hope the government will implement recommendations of
the Ranganath Mishra Commission and the Sachar Committee,"
AIMMM leader Illiyas Malik said.
On Wednesday, the Union government cleared a proposal to
allow 4.5 per cent quota for minorities within the 27 per
cent reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA