Sub tragedy: Lab identifies 9 bodies after DNA testing, two cases pending
Mumbai: The Kalina Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) handed over bodies of nine navy personnel, who were killed in the INS Sindhurakshak tragedy, to JJ Hospital after identifying them through DNA profiling.
The DNA identification of two bodies is still pending.
The bodies were first handed over to the JJ Hospital for post-mortem and then they were given to the Kalina FSL for DNA test.
On August 13 night, an explosion ripped through the submarine, INS Sindhurakshak, which had 18 people on board. As of now, 11 bodies of the navy personnel have been fished out of the submerged submarine.
On Tuesday, a solemn wreath-laying ceremony was held at the naval hospital, INHS Asvini, for the three navy personnel of INS Sindhurakshak who were killed in the tragedy.
Wreaths were laid by Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, the Flag Officer Commanding-in -chief, Western Naval Command, the Commodore Commanding Submarines (West) and the Commanding Officer of INS Sindhurakshak.
Several senior naval officers and men of the Western Naval Command were also present, and paid their respects with floral tributes to the dead.
The ceremony was conducted with full military honours and the families and close relatives of those who lost their lives were present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH