Subhas Chandra Bose real icon for youth: President Pranab
Kolkata: Describing Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose as a "real icon" for the youth, President Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday said his life was a story of sacrifice and service to the cause of India.
"This great son of India`s life was a story of sacrifice and service. The motto of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose was `seva` and `tyag` (service and sacrificed). In many centuries, we may not have someone like him," he said, inaugurating the 116th birth anniversary celebrations of the freedom fighter at his ancestral house Netaji Bhavan here.
Addressing the function by Netaji Research Bureau, Mukherjee hailed Bose as a "great son of India who fought for its liberation till the last moment of his life".
Bose`s daughter Anita Pfaff, her husband Martin Pfaff and his family were at the event.
With the nation celebrating the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, Mukherjee referred to the tremendous influence the religious leader had over Bose.
"Netaji wrote that at an early age of 15, Swami Vivekananda entered his life. During the war in Singapore, Netaji used to visit the Ramakrishna Mission there to meditate," Mukherjee said.
Swami Vivekananda founded the Ramakrishna Mission, a philanthropic and spiritual organisation based on the philosophy of spiritual mentor Ramakrishna Paramhamsa.
Mukherjee said the two addresses by Bose as president of the Indian National Congress inspired him in drafting his acceptance speech on being elected president last year.
He said a letter written by Bose to chief ministers (then called premiers) of eight Indian provinces in 1937 provided the ingredients which later formed the directive principles of the nation`s constitution.
"He conceptualised and articulated the concept of planning and planned economic development," Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read