Subhas Goswami is new ITBP DG
New Delhi: Two months after the post fell vacant, government today appointed senior IPS officer Subhas Goswami as the new chief of the paramilitary Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) which guards the crucial Indian border with China.
Goswami, a 1977-batch police officer of the Assam-Meghalaya cadre, will be the 30th Director General (DG) of the force which was raised in the face of the 1962 Chinese aggression.
The officer, at present, is serving as the Director of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy in Hyderabad, the alma mater of IPS officers in the country.
Goswami told PTI he would take over the charge by the second week of next month as the national police academy has a passing out parade and ceremony on November 5.
He would head the force till December 2014. The top post of the paramilitary remained vacant for close to two months after the last incumbent, Ajay Chadha, retired on August 30.
The ITBP guards the 3,488 km long Sino-Indian frontier and the role of its troopers was highlighted recently when they rendered relief and rescue duties in the aftermath of the Uttarakhand floods and rains.
Fifteen of its personnel were also killed in a chopper crash during the same operations in the rain ravaged state.
The force, apart from border guarding duties, is deployed for a variety of duties in anti-Naxal operations theatre, VIP security and other internal security tasks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez