Subhas Goswami is new ITBP DG
New Delhi: Two months after the post fell vacant, government today appointed senior IPS officer Subhas Goswami as the new chief of the paramilitary Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) which guards the crucial Indian border with China.
Goswami, a 1977-batch police officer of the Assam-Meghalaya cadre, will be the 30th Director General (DG) of the force which was raised in the face of the 1962 Chinese aggression.
The officer, at present, is serving as the Director of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy in Hyderabad, the alma mater of IPS officers in the country.
Goswami told PTI he would take over the charge by the second week of next month as the national police academy has a passing out parade and ceremony on November 5.
He would head the force till December 2014. The top post of the paramilitary remained vacant for close to two months after the last incumbent, Ajay Chadha, retired on August 30.
The ITBP guards the 3,488 km long Sino-Indian frontier and the role of its troopers was highlighted recently when they rendered relief and rescue duties in the aftermath of the Uttarakhand floods and rains.
Fifteen of its personnel were also killed in a chopper crash during the same operations in the rain ravaged state.
The force, apart from border guarding duties, is deployed for a variety of duties in anti-Naxal operations theatre, VIP security and other internal security tasks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India