Subhash Chandra Bose was 1st Bengali President of India: Pranab
Kolkata: President Pranab Mukherjee Saturday described great nationalist leader Subhash Chandra Bose as the "first Bengali Rashtrapati" of India.
"Before Independence, the presidents of Indian National Congress were called Rashtrapati (president). So Netaji was the first Bengali President," Mukherjee said during his visit to Netaji`s residence in Kolkata.
Mukherjee`s comments came after former MP Krisha Bose, the widow of Netaji`s nephew Sisir Bose, said the second Rashtrapati from Bengal has visited the historic house to pay homage to the first Rashtrapati.
Since his elevation to the country`s highest constitutional office, West Bengal has been euphoric over having the first president from the state in independent India.
Mukherjee, who is on a four-day visit to his home state, described his trip to "Netaji Bhavan" in South Kolkata as a "pilgrimage".
"It is a pilgrimage for all Indians to visit this place and I have come here to pay my homage to the great soul. His contribution to India`s war of liberation is still inspiring us," Mukherjee said.
He said as the president of Indian National Congress, Bose had called for abolition of poverty and the people even now should follow the freedom fighter`s view on social economic transformation.
Governor M.K. Narayanan was also present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video