Subsidised water for cricket, farmers left thirsty
Mumbai: At a time when Maharashtra is facing one of its worst ever drought, a RTI query has revealed that water is being supplied to the Wankhede stadium – where IPL matches are to be held – at subsidised rates.
While the 25,000-26,000 litres that required to keep the turf green is being supplied at a rate of Rs 400/tanker, farmers in the state’s drought-hit regions are being forced to shell out as much as Rs 1,500-3,000 for one tanker full of water.
The IPL’s sixth season began on April 03 and will end on May 26. Mumbai and Pune, the two biggest cities in Maharashtra, are due to host 16 matches in total.
The drought in Maharashtra has cast an unexpected shadow over the Indian Premier League Twenty20 cricket tournament, with Opposition parties calling for matches to be moved out of the state to save water.
“Maharashtra state is reeling from a drought. Is it right then that hundreds of thousands of liters of water should be wasted for cricket matches that are solely for entertainment?” Vinod Tawde, a senior BJP leader, wrote in a letter to IPL chief Rajeev Shukla.
The Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, Shiv Sena and the Republican Party of India have also objected to IPL matches citing the same reasons.
The Shiv Sena, last week, asked owners of IPL teams to contribute Rs 500 crore towards drought relief from the revenue generated through the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow