Suckling appointed as Australia`s next envoy to India
Melbourne: Career diplomat Patrick Suckling has been appointed as Australia`s next High Commissioner to India.
Suckling will take up the post in New Delhi next month, according to media reports here.
The appointment was announced by Foreign Minister Bob Carr who said the role was important because India is Australia`s fourth largest export market, with trade between the two countries reaching 18-billion dollars a year.
Suckling is a career diplomat who has previously been posted to New Delhi and Washington.
He has a post-graduate diploma in Hindi from the University of Sydney. Suckling will replace Peter Varghese, who is returning to Australia to head the department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
"Suckling is an accomplished career diplomat with expertise in policy development, public diplomacy and consular service," Carr said in a statement yesterday.
"His previous postings to New Delhi and Washington and postgraduate qualifications in Hindi will serve him well as high commissioner."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Swara Bhaskar turns writer, pens love story
- Venus clouds may reveal underlying secrets
- Bollywood actors vs MPs charity match: Baba Ramdev steals the show - See Pics
- Sensex zooms by over 292 points to recapture 28,000-mark; Nifty above 8,600-level
- Boy's heart, brain function halted for cardiac tumour removal!