Suckling appointed as Australia`s next envoy to India
Melbourne: Career diplomat Patrick Suckling has been appointed as Australia`s next High Commissioner to India.
Suckling will take up the post in New Delhi next month, according to media reports here.
The appointment was announced by Foreign Minister Bob Carr who said the role was important because India is Australia`s fourth largest export market, with trade between the two countries reaching 18-billion dollars a year.
Suckling is a career diplomat who has previously been posted to New Delhi and Washington.
He has a post-graduate diploma in Hindi from the University of Sydney. Suckling will replace Peter Varghese, who is returning to Australia to head the department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
"Suckling is an accomplished career diplomat with expertise in policy development, public diplomacy and consular service," Carr said in a statement yesterday.
"His previous postings to New Delhi and Washington and postgraduate qualifications in Hindi will serve him well as high commissioner."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics