Suckling appointed as Australia`s next envoy to India
Melbourne: Career diplomat Patrick Suckling has been appointed as Australia`s next High Commissioner to India.
Suckling will take up the post in New Delhi next month, according to media reports here.
The appointment was announced by Foreign Minister Bob Carr who said the role was important because India is Australia`s fourth largest export market, with trade between the two countries reaching 18-billion dollars a year.
Suckling is a career diplomat who has previously been posted to New Delhi and Washington.
He has a post-graduate diploma in Hindi from the University of Sydney. Suckling will replace Peter Varghese, who is returning to Australia to head the department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
"Suckling is an accomplished career diplomat with expertise in policy development, public diplomacy and consular service," Carr said in a statement yesterday.
"His previous postings to New Delhi and Washington and postgraduate qualifications in Hindi will serve him well as high commissioner."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'